Listen here for a 2 minute clip from our Irish Border expert on why talk of the Backstop is more likely to be in preparation for No Deal than a Deal:
Optimism over a Brexit Deal is rising because:
- Boris and the DUP are talking about an “all-Ireland” approach
- Breathless anticipation that if they would deviate from the UK, then that could mean they would accept the backstop
- Boris is thought to be so wounded
- Amber Rudd lambasted him for failing to look like he even wanted a Deal
- He can stick to his pledge not to send that Extension Letter if he gets a Deal passed
- The Scottish Court ruling that his advice to the Queen to prorogue was unlawful
- The EU spot an opportunity
- Here’s a quick solution Boris – pick up Theresa May’s Deal and her original Northern-Ireland-only Backstop!
We believe this is misplaced, largely due to a misunderstanding over why Boris is focused on agricultural and food checks. Listen to the clip above to find out more!