- Australia June Retail Sales -1.8% vs -0.5% exp as lockdowns bite.
- Australia’s two largest states see increase in infections.
- Heaviest rainfall in “1,000 years” hits Zhengzhou in China, city of 12 million.
- Bipartisan infrastructure bill flounders on IRS funding squabble.
- Sectors in UK reporting faster growth drop in Lloyds Bank survey.
- London staff want £5,100 pay rise to return to the office, survey suggests.
- IFS warns Chancellor can only afford short term Budget giveaway of £30bn as medium term finances remain tight due to scarring in potential growth output of economy.
- UK Border staff told not to check all traveller paperwork, putting onus on airlines.
- Netflix adds fewer subscribers than expected in Q2, blames economic reopening and dearth of fresh programming, looks to add gaming.
- UBS launches portfolio investing only in female-led hedge funds
Asian equity markets were mixed despite the strong bounce back in US equities. Today brings earnings reports from J&J, Verizon and Coca Cola.
On this day in 1960 Sirimavo Bandaranaike was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka making her the world’s first female prime minister.