Exit polls show everyone underperformed their own expectations:
- The Greens had hoped to clear 20% but failed
- The FDP had hoped to be the third largest party
- The Left are barely scraping the 5% threshold
- The CDU are on track for their worst ever result
- The SPD are too close to the CDU/CSU for comfort - but they are still on track to be the biggest party
The SPD therefore have the momentum, as the least worst performer.
Germany has, like so many other western democracies in recent . . .
To read this article, please log in or sign up to one of our subscription packages.