– China releases oil from its strategic reserves for the first time
– Biden and Xi hold first call in seven months, “discussed the responsibility of both nations to ensure competition does not veer into conflict”
– Biden mandates vaccinations for federal employees, “We’ve been patient, but our patience is wearing thin, and your refusal has cost all of us”
– Microsoft scraps plans to reopen offices
– Senior CDU officials accuse SPD of wanting to turn Europe into a “debt-and-transfer union”, and “Scholz wants a soft Euro”
– Fed Kaplan and Rosengren to sell holdings by end of month
– Mallorca sees 2.4m tourists in and out in July, -40% on pre-pandemic
– US airlines cut quarterly revenue forecasts as Delta slows travel
– UK July monthly GDP lowest since January
– RTRS poll of economists sees UK rate hike Q4 2022 from 2023 prior
– Oxford Nanopore announces IPO
US stock markets wobbled but Asia had a decent rally following Xi’s chat with Biden and gaming stocks finding a floor.
The BlondeMoney management team greet you from Heathrow airport where we can report a brisk flow of passengers….
On this day in 2001 contestant Charles Ingram on British TV game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Reached the top prize but was later shown to have cheated by listening to coughs from his wife and another contestant.