- Storm Nicholas left more than 150,000 homes and businesses without power in Texas.
- California Governor survives bid to oust him, the No vote on the recall election was 66.6%.
- China data disappointed particularly Retail Sales growing just 2.5% yoy, Industrial Production and Fixed Asset Investment growth were also lower than expected.
- Japan Machinery Orders rebounded but failed to meet expectations, up 0.9% vs f/c 3.1%.
- UK Chief Scientific adviser says “go hard and go early” with restrictions if the virus surges over winter.
- Apple launched four new phones “iPhone 13”.
- Chinese Ambassador to Britain has been banned from parliament.
- North Korea fired two ballistic missiles.
- 400,000 infections each year in China and South East Asia are coronaviruses transmitted from animals.
The S&P 500 closed down 0.6%, financials were the worst performers, as inflation moderates. Most Asian equity markets fell overnight, Macau casino operator stocks plummeted on fears of more oversight.
On this day in 1940 every RAF fighter plane was in the air at the same time as almost every Luftwaffe bomber from France attacked in the largest air strike the country had seen.