- BOJ debating how soon to signal a rate hike, sources tell Reuters.
- Kishida maintains fiscal stance.
- S Korea raise rates to 1.25%, considers two more hikes this year.
- HK extends transit flight ban to 150 countries, commerce secretary tells FT there’s “no definitive timeline” for opening borders.
- China trade surplus at record as exports rise 20.9% and imports up 19.5%.
- Evergrande shares edge higher as onshore bondholders approve payment delay on one of its bonds.
- Negative yielding bonds drop to lowest level since April 2020.
- Google buys central London office block for $1bn, increasing its capacity in the UK to 10,000 workers but to “deintensify” space.
- N Korea hackers stole $400m of crypto last year, report says.
US stock markets tumbled with the S&P closing down 1.4% and tech dragging the Nasdaq down 2.5%. Asian markets followed suit with similar drops for Japan and Australia.
On this day in 1973 Elvis Presley’s concert Aloha from Hawaii beams into homes live and goes on to become the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in TV history.